Friday, September 30, 2016

Pre Costa Rica Travels: Florida

We were able to visit Richard's sister Traci and her husband Jason in Florida.  We also spent time with Great-Grandma Robbins and her daughter Aunt Carol while in Tallahassee.  We visited some extended family in the Ocala area and visited the grave sites of family members.

We stopped by Granddad Robbins gave at the Florida National Cemetery.  The played some violin tunes for him there and then we cleaned his headstone.  We also went down to the Florida Keys to see the house and church Granddad Robbins build while serving in the military there.  We tried to swim at the beach in the Florida Keys, but Spencer and Maylee immediately got stung by jelly fish and that scared us off.

We headed up to Fort Lauderdale which is where we were supposed to fly to Costa Rica from, but our plans were changed for us.  The day before we were supposed to board the plane, and hours before we planned to drop off the RV to a dealership,  we got a call from my parents saying that my Granny had passed away.

The time of the phone call seemed strangely significant for two reasons.  The night before her passing, Maylee prayed that a miracle would happen for Granny.  I had not heard her pray with that lauguage for Granny before.  When we found out about her passing, we felt that a miracle had taken place for her.  She no longer had to suffer with a weak boy and dementia.  As much as we would miss her, we were grateful that she was free from the constant pain she had suffered from.  Also, the night before her passing, Richard and I talked about how we actually were really starting to be concerned with the Zika virus present in Central America even though we had not previously been.  We prayed that night for a sign that if we needed to be more cautious and potentially even delay our trip until I was out of the first trimester, to please let us know what to do.  We felt, that the sad news of the passing of my Granny was actually an answer to our prayers and a message to us that we needed to wait to move in order to better protect our little baby.

I love my Granny very much.  I have wonderful memories of growing up only a mile from her house.  I spent my childhood constantly at her house.  She was always very thoughtful of others.  Sometimes I would help her do work around her house, and she would make me fancy salads or ham sandwiches on homemade wheat bread because she knew how much I loved them.  My Granny was a fun granny.  She always had treats and a candy stash, and she loved to play games.  She owned jaw-dropping contraptions like a snow cone machine and giant blowup pools for her grandkids to enjoy.

Richard and I lived with my grandparents the first two months of our marriage.  We would stay up late playing 42 with them, we took temple trips to Houston with them, and we would eat at Golden Coral every Friday with them.  We later took them on a cruise to Alaska with us and were able to spend a fun week with them on that vacation.  These are just a few of the wonderful memories I have of my Granny.  I am blessed to be her granddaughter, and I am honored that I was asked to make her funeral program for her.


No comments:

Post a Comment